Saturday, August 12, 2006

Sushi & Sake

I've always thought the idea behind Folklorama (celebrating diversity and promoting cultural understanding) was good, but it’s always seemed too kitschy and too much of a nostalgic celebration of ethnicity that I feel often doesn’t reflect the ethnic communities in Winnipeg. Maybe it's because I've been away from all this talk of multiculturalism for a year that I'm less bothered by the kitsch and more thankful to have grown up in such a diverse country. Or maybe I've just been to really good pavilions this year. Whatever the reason, Folklorama has been fun this year; I’ve been entertained with dancing, stories and singing (think Paul Anka in Japanese – hilarious), I've been a Feinschmecker sampling culinary creations from around the globe, I’ve swapped travel stories with Mom and helped her pick out some new jewellery from the gift shops. Wait, maybe it was the shopping that made Folklorama so good this year! Ahh, once a shopoholic, always a shopoholic. :)



Ghost drummers
The Hinode Taiko drummers were amazing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home