Monday, June 11, 2007

worst morning ever

turkish locals hounding tourists to come into their shops and restaurants instantly brought me back to my days in the middle east. i'm pretty good at ignoring all of that, but by the last morning i was getting a wee bit sick of it all. in case any of you ever thought i was a morning person, here's a little story about what i'm like before my morning coffee:
i pretty much like to be left alone for about an hour after i wake up. don't talk to me, don't ask me questions, don't tell me any stories, and please don't tell me any bad news. i will snap at you and probably be incredibly unsympathetic. wait an hour, let me drink a latte, and i'm much less bear and much more person.
so, on the morning shawn and i were meant to fly from istanbul to olympos, the man at hostel informs me mere minutes after waking up that the airport shuttle decided it wouldn't be running on this particular day. pretty annoying. i ask him how we're supposed to get to the airport and he tells me there are no other options for getting to the airport. um, what? NO other options?! right, just one shuttle that, if the driver feels like working that day, takes tourists to the airport?! i refused to believe that and stood there telling him there had to be other options. and i wasn't exactly telling him nicely since he decided to tell me this before my hour of leave me alone time and coffee. hostel man insisted, no, no other options. that went on for like 5 minutes - all the while shawn was awkwardly standing next to me quiet as a mouse, not sure how to handle the ang + morning + bad news combo. after a while, he eventually told me about the bus that runs to the airport. silly me would have considered that another option, but what do i know?!
so i'm already annoyed, still coffee-less, and then we're told we would have to buy new tickets from olympos to istanbul for our return flight! apparently we were flying into some out in the middle of nowhere airport and if we didn't buy new tickets, we would miss our connection back to germany. more bad news. still no coffee.
i cannot deal with this problem until i get some latte-therapy, so molly, shawn and i decide to hit up starbucks. off we go and we're about half way there when some guy stands right in front of me (yes, while i was trying to WALK) and repeatedly asks shawn "which one is your girlfriend? which one is your girlfriend?" ok, i'm trying to walk. i have had a bad, bad morning, i'm sick of people hounding tourists, and i'm especially not happy about some jerk and his annoying comments standing in way of the beeline i'm making towards starbucks. unhappy and growing more annoyed by the millisecond, i ignore him. he doesn't stop with his questions. he continues to try and block my way, getting in my face with his stupid question. i could handle no more. i am not a violent person and i rarely tell someone to shut up. but this was just too much for one morning. on this particular morning at this particular time i pushed a perfect stranger in the street and hold him to shut up. i still can't believe i did that.
but this guy just could not leave it alone. he then proceeds to follow us, yelling some warning or who knows what after me that i can get married 5 times and i will always be unhappy. he seriously followed us for like 200 metres, all the while yelling at me - a perfect stranger - that i can get married 5 times and will always be unhappy! simply because someone finally made it clear to him how stinking annoying he is! clearly he didn't hear me when i told him to shut up.
it was a triple espresso venti latte that morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Please please please don't ever go to India... you'll hate it.

11/6/07 21:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home